Sunday, May 23, 2010

weekly ref.

Weekly reflection

Oliver Moore

This week I learned many new things. I learned that the most difficult part of putting together my stool will be figuring out the angles in which to drill the legs. I also learned how to turn the top of the stool, which will be a little contoured in the center, making it comfortable to sit on. I learned that the top is made much like a a bowl, which I knew how to do.
The things I worked on this week were basically the same that I did last week. I finished all the legs and the seat, which I found to be just as enjoyable. I think the next week will be less fun because I will mainly be sanding and assembling.
I need to have a seat that works and looks well on the windsor stile stool, which I designed after one that Jon had in his house. Jon helped me figure out how I would need to set up the seat to be turned, because I was unsure on how I was going to prepare it for the lathe.
So far everything has gone well, however it was more difficult than I expected to turn the seat. It was not so much difficult, as it was different. I was used to turning the long and thin legs, so it was a much different process. I figured it out though and it turned out nicely.
My turning skills are still getting better, I made bascially 95% of the stool this week, and the first and last weeks are for preparation and finishing. I needed to work efficiently and make sure I was able to finish everything on a deadline. It was good for me to learn how to set deadlines and then reach them on my own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment