Saturday, May 15, 2010

weekly ref.

Weekly reflection

Oliver Moore

This week I learned many new things. I learned that it is much more work making a stool than anyone would imagine. The legs alone are much more work than I previously assumed and I will need to practice them a great deal.
I really like using the lathe. I have been using it a little bit in my two years here and it is very enjoyable. Not many people understand all the things that are made using a lather, and it takes years to master. The good thing about wood turning is that it is instant gratification, in short time I can have something concrete, which is not true with other parts of woodworking.
Jon and I decided it would be best if I continued practicing my leg design and got myself into a place where I could best finish the stool sucessfully. I want to be able to finish it with ample time for the finish to dry and the wax to go on, therefore I need to structure my time accordingly.
So far everything has gone well and I have had no surprises. Besides realizing that I needed to work on my turning the project has been very straightforward this first week.
I feel I have gotten exponentially better at the pattern I am using for my legs and am almost ready to make the real thing. The practice this week set the groundwork for me to make perfect legs next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment